Today we are going to tell you about GENERAL ENGLISH COMPETITION
Q.1. Choose the option that best expresses the meaning of the highlighted idiom/phrase:
She is wearing all new clothes from tip to toe.
- from tip to below
- from morning till night
- from top to bottom
- from every shop
Correct Answer :from top to bottom
Q.2. Out of the following options, choose the correct form of verb that is in agreement with the subject for the given sentence:
The first fax machines ______ in 1988.
- are installed
- was installed
- has been installed
- were installed
Correct Answer :were installed
Q.3. Out of the following options, choose the correct form of adverb for the given sentence:
He is my friend, or ______ he was my friend.
Correct Answer :rather
Q.4. Out of the following options, choose the most appropriate tense that best fills in to complete the given sentence:
When I was ten, I ______ music lessons every day .
- have had
- used to have
- used to be having
- have been having
Correct Answer :used to have
Q.5. Choose the option that correctly sequences the following sentences:
- In February, the calves hand-raised in Kaziranga’s Centre for Wildlife Rehabilitation and Conservation were brought to this area as part of a unique experiment of reintroducing them in the wild.
- Six translocated elephant calves in the national park her e are facing a threat not from poachers, but from bloodsucking parasites, prompting the authorities to drug them for temporary relief.
- One of the calves, which suffer ed from restlessness after there were small pustules all over its body following the bites, had to be given antihistamine injections.
- T abanus flies are found in abundance during this time of the year in Manas and there is hardly any place for the calves to wallow without getting bitten.
Correct Answer :4132
Q.6. Out of the following four options, choose the incorrect sentence:
- Lifting of the package by a single person was impossible.
- The package was so heavy that a single person could not lift it.
- The package was too heavy to be lifted by a single person.
- The package was very heavy so that one person could lift it.
Correct Answer : 4. The package was very heavy so that one person could lift it.
Q.7. A sentence with an underlined word is given below. Choose the correct option which is closest in meaning to the underlined word.
Exercise stimulates blood circulation.
Correct Answer :revive
Q.8. Out of the following options, choose the correct form of adverb for the given sentence:
His ______ behavior threw his boss into a fit of anger.
Correct Answer :unyielding
GENERAL ENGLISH COMPETITION