Hello Friends ,
Today we are going to tell you BASE LINE -12 GENERAL ENGLISH .General English-12th class Base line test with Answer key Read and update your Self BASE LINE -12 GENERAL ENGLISH…….
Q.1-Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow. (5)
In July 1976, my wife Mary, son Jonathan, 6, daughter Suzanne, 7, and I set sail from Plymouth, England, to duplicate the round the-world voyage made 200 years earlier by Captain James Cook. For the longest time, Mary and I — a 37-year-old businessman — had dreamt of sailing in the wake of the famous explorer, and for the past 16 years we had spent all our leisure time honing our seafaring skills in British waters.
1.When did the author start his sail ?
2. Whom did the author want to duplicate ?
3.Who all were the family members of the author ?
4.Write the superlative degree of ‘earlier’.
5. What is the noun form of ‘dreamt’.
1. The author started his sail in July 1976.
2. The author wanted to duplicate captain James Cook’s voyage made 200 years ago.
3. His wife Mary, his son Jonathan of 6 and daughter Suzanne of 7 were his family members.
Q.2-Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions that follow. (5)
I was born into a middle-class Tamil family in the island town of Rameshwaram in the erstwhile Madras State. My father, Jainulabdeen, had neither much formal education nor much wealth; despite these disadvantages, he possessed great innate wisdom and a true generosity of spirit.
He had an ideal helpmate in my mother, Ashiamma. I do not recall the exact number of people she fed every day, but I am quite certain that far more outsiders ate with us than all the members of our own family put together.
I was one of many children — a short boy with rather undistinguished looks, born to tall and handsome parents. We lived in our ancestral house, which was built in the middle of nineteenth century.
1.What is the name of the child’s father ?
2.Describe the physique of the child?
3. Where was he born?
4.Write the adjective form of ‘wisdom’.
5.Write the antonym of ‘tall’ from the passage .
1. The name of the child’s father was Jainulabdeen.
2. The physique of the child was short with rather undistinguished looks.
3. He was born in the island town of Rameswaram.
BASE LINE -12 GENERAL ENGLISH
Q.3- Read the following poem carefully and answer the questions that follow. (5)
The cardboard shows me how it was
When the two girl cousins went paddling
Each one holding one of my mother’s hands,
And she the big girl – some twelve years or so.
All three stood still to smile through their hair
At the uncle with the camera, A sweet face
My mother’s, that was before I was born
And the sea, which appears to have changed less
Washed their terribly transient feet.
1.Write the name of the poet and the poem .
2.How many members went to the beach ?
3.Who did the girls smile at ?
4.What was the sea doing ?
5.How old was the poet’s mother in the photograph ?
1. The poet’s name is Shirley Toulson and the poem is ‘A Photograph’.
2. Four members – the poet’s mother, her two cousins, and her uncle went to the beach.
3. The girls smiled at the uncle holding the camera.
4. The sea was washing their terribly transient feet.
5. The poet’s mother was 12 years old.
Q.4 – Write a short paragraph on the benefits of Yoga. (50-60 words) (5)
Answer – do your self .
PART – B
Q.5 You want to sell your flat. Draft a suitable advertisement in NOT more than 50 words giving all the necessary details. (4)
One Flat for sale in good condition. readily available in prestigious locations with all modern facilities in Gwalior.
Owner Shifting to another city.
Q.6 Write a letter to the Postmaster of your area to complain against the carelessness of the postman of your area. (4)
20th August , 21
The Post master
Head Post Office
Gwalior ( M.P.)
I beg to state that Rahul Verma ,the postman of our area is very careless about his duties . he doesn,t bring our letters in time. He delivers the letters at wrong places. Our neighbours too are dissatisfied. Some person says that he asks for ‘Inam’ when he brings M.O.S. or other important letters. He throws the dak at home carelessly any where.
I therefore request you kindly to warn him and if he doesn’t mend his ways transfer Him to other area.
Write a letter to your friend congratulating him on his brilliant success in HSC Exam.
August 20, 2021
Namaste, I hope you are doing well there. today when I picked the morning news paper , I come to know about your brilliant success in the examination .your photograph attracted my attention. All the members of my family become very glad to know that your name has been included in the merit list.
Please accept our hearty congratulations .we hope you will have a very successful career.
Rest is O.k.
Q.7- Fill in the blanks (any four) (4)
i——- birds are sitting on the roof .(some , more , much )
ii. I saw ———–European.(a, an ,the)
iii. I did not ———- my homework. (did , do, done)
iv. What does ‘transient’ mean in the poem ? ( immortal , permanent , short lived )
v. ‘inter alia’ means ————-. (among other things, without any disturbance)
ANSWER – i) some (ii) a (iii) do (iv) short lived v) among other things
Q.8 – Do as directed. (6)
1. Write the following sentence in passive voice.
People speak English all over the world.
2. Rearrange the words to make a meaningful sentence
3. Rewrite the sentence using comparative degree without changing the meaning.
Mango is the sweetest fruit of the world.
4. Put the appropriate conjunction to complete the sentence.
Sit down __ you may go. (or, but, and)
5. Use suitable modal to fill in the following sentence.
I __ buy this picture if I had money. (could, must, may)
6. Frame a question of this sentence using ‘where’.
He will take admission in the Arts college of Agra.
1. English is spoken all over the world.
2. Do as the Romans do while in Rome.
3. No other fruit of the world is sweeter than mango. / Mango is sweeter than any other fruit of the
6. Where will he take admission?
Q. 9 – Match the words of column A and B to make right combination of words. (2)
BASE LINE -12 GENERAL ENGLISH